Wednesday 4 July 2007

What shall I make with these?


I bought some cherry tomatoes today. Then as I sat on the bus, it occurred to me that I had no idea what I was going to do with them. Hmmm... what to do with them? I have a basil plant, so that is an obvious match. I have some cheese in the fridge that has moved into the melted stage so really should be used.

The solution became very clear; risotto!

Firstly I quartered the cherry tomatoes and popped them in the oven to bake, having drizzled them with olive oil and sprinkled with Murray River salt flakes.


Then it was time to rummage out my rice, dried mushrooms, some white wine and a clove of garlic.

I fried the diced garlic in olive oil, added the rice and stirred it for a bit. Poured boiling water over the dried mushrooms to re-hydrate them, and added some to the rice. Allowed the rice to sizzle, and, stirring regularly, added water bit by bit as the water absorbed and rice cooked. A decent splash of wine and the re-hydrated mushrooms, as well as a spoonful of stockpowder and dinner was almost ready.


I broke up the cheese with my hands and stirred it into the pot, allowing it to melt. After stirring in the oven-baked tomatoes and fresh basil it was time to eat! Not bad at all.

2 comments:

Nora B. said...

"Not bad at all" - you are too modest! That sounds and looks very delectable. I see that you are using Murray River salt flakes. That's the only salt I use. I love dipping bread in EV olive oil, then into some of that lovely pale pink salt flakes.

Kiriel du Papillon said...

I used to be a Maldon salt flake girl, and then converted to fleur de sel from the south of France. Then I had a visitor from home, and she brought me the Murray River salt. I am SO sold. Gorgeous colour, gorgeous flavour; wonderful stuff!