Wednesday 18 July 2007

French toast and salad

Feeling horribly unwell so I stayed home from work. After sleeping lots, I dragged my sorry butt out of bed to face the kitchen and a complete lack of culinary inspiration. I wanted something to eat that would be healthy, to get me well, but really really quick and easy to make. Thus french toast and salad were born. Salad consisting of the only two fresh vegies I had in the fridge, cherry tomatoes and snow peas.

French toast? Cmon, do I really need to give you a recipe? Just in case there is a loyal fan out there who doesn't know how to make it, here 'tis. For most people french toast is purely sweet, but I actually like mine herby. You gotta love a dish which can be both main course and dessert!

3 slices of bread
1 egg
1 tablespoon cream
1 tablespoon water
(I used the mix of cream and water because I didn't have any milk in the fridge; you could use 2 tablespoons of milk instead)
salt
pepper
1 tsp dried oregano

Put the cream and water in a small dish. Add the oregano and give it a few minutes to allow the herbs to soften. Add the egg, salt and pepper, and mix with a fork until well combined.

Take the sliced bread and run it through the egg mix, allowing it to coat the bread. Don't leave the bread in there for long, or it will go soggy. Pop straight into a lightly oiled and hot frypan. Cook one side until golden brown. Turn over and cook the other side. Serve piping hot.

For a sweet version, remove the herb, salt and pepper. Once cooked sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or icing sugar, or even drizzle with maple syrup.

No comments: