Saturday 15 December 2007

Honey Snaps

I still have that lovely big jar of leatherwood honey, so I thought while I was in the baking mood I should make something using it, as gifts for local friends to share that very distinctive Australian taste. The friends of mine who tried my spiced pavlovas said that leatherwood honey was "Winnie the Pooh honey" and like the ultimate essence of honey in flavour. I can't agree more, and what better way to show it off than to make Honey snaps? Unfortunately my good Aussie cookbooks are back at home in Australia, but thanks to the joy of the internet I found a recipe which worked perfectly for me.

Honey Snaps (recipe found on the blog of Augustus Gloop)

50 g butter
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons leatherwood honey

1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Preheat an oven to 180 degrees. In a small saucepan melt the butter, sugar and honey together stirring regularly until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat, and add the dry ingredients.

Place teaspoon fulls of the soft dough on to a lined baking tray, allowing quite a lot of room for spread.

As you can see, the dough looks pretty ordinary when uncooked!
Bake for 10 minutes until they turn deliciously golden (they will spread and puff up - the puff will fall when they come out of the oven). Allow to cool on the tray until solid enough to lift, then transfer to a wire rack. Keep an eye out as they tend to turn quite quickly, and will continue to cook a little bit on the tray.

The final biscuits looking totally delicious, hot from the oven.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Perfect round medallions.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm...I haven't had these in years. they look so good.