Wednesday 26 September 2007

Salmon with gunpowder green tea

This dish, like all my cooking, was a complete experiment, and I was very nervous as to whether it would work. I thought it might; salmon and gunpowder green tea seemed a potentially great combination, but I was far from sure!

Hmmm... how to do it?

I decided to do a sort of gravlax style marinade, but I didn't want to serve it raw, as you usually do with gravlax. So here is what I came up with, and I was very happy with the results - tasty and attractive, simple and delicious.


Gunpowder green tea salmon (Original recipe by Kiriel)

6 small salmon fillets
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp gunpowder green tea

Grind 2 tablespoons of green tea with a mortar and pestle. Mix in the salt and sugar, and rub into the salmon fillets. Add a splash of hot water to the 1 tablespoon of left over green tea and allow it to absorb the water, adding a little more if necessary. Add to the rub.

Allow to marinate overnight (I popped it into a ziplock bag) in the fridge. Rub off most of the marinade, and pan fry until the flesh has changed colour and edges are golden.

No comments: