Sunday 30 September 2007

Chai tea creams with sesame praline

These delicate tea scented creams looked lovely and tasted even better. I was going to call them English tea custards, but upon eating decided that they should be renamed chai creams because of the spicy flavour from the anise.

Chai Tea Creams (original recipe by Kiriel)

1 cup cream
1 cup milk
1 star anise
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 english breakfast tea bags
1 & 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
3 egg yolks

Put all the ingredients except for the egg yolks in a pot and heat gently, allowing the spices to steep and brown sugar to dissolve.

Whisk the egg yolks until smooth, and then whisk into the cream. Pour into ramekins. Place the ramekins in a deepish baking tray, and fill the dish with water till it reaches 3/4 of the height of the ramekins. Bake at a medium temperature for 45 minutes until creams are just set. Decorate with sesame praline and serve at room temperature. (how to make the sesame praline is in my post of 23 September)

7 comments:

Christima said...

What do you mean by a "medium temperature"? My oven only measures in degrees, and I REALLY want to try this! :)

Anonymous said...

Formulation of sesame praline? Thank you

Kiriel du Papillon said...

The sesame praline recipe is posted as an earlier post. See Sunday 23 September

Cynthia said...

I've heard or had tea creams before. I'm definitely going to try this.

Anonymous said...

eeee. i am so glad you guys are continuing on with the dinners. and you did the tea theme!!! nifty. wish i was there, it all sounds soooo good. very jealous = me. big hugs from small town iowa.

Kiriel du Papillon said...

Well these were a complete invention on my part, so I certainly wouldn't promise that they are related to any other tea creams you may have heard of Cynthia. But I can promise they are good!

Rasa Malaysia said...

The Praline looks like a dancing man...looks so happy with your chai tea cream. Hehe.