Thursday 15 November 2007

Lobster scented potato veloute

I was sent from Australia some lobster flavoured oil, which got my mind buzzing with ideas.
What to do with it? The scent was slightly smokey and flavour delicate. What could I cook that would complement and not overwhelm it?

Potato soup seemed to be the perfect solution.

A tiny tureen of veloute (100ml)

Lobster Scented Potato Veloute

1 medium sized leek
5 large potatoes
1 tablespooon of butter
3 cups mild flavoured vegetable stock
3 teaspoons of lobster flavoured oil

Clean and finely slice the leek, and gently cook in butter with the lobster oil until softened. In the meantime, peel and cube the potatoes. Once the leeks are softened, add the potatoes and the vegetable stock.

Cook at a slow boil until the potatoes are disintegrating (adding water if required). Using a stick blender, blend until velvety smooth. I served this soup hot with a little extra of the lobster oil on top (using an eye dropper), but in fact I think that it would be better served at room temperature.

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your soup was really tasty and delicate! I loved it! And those little pots were ever so cute...

Hugs,

Rosa

Cynthia said...

Wow, this must be so good with that lobster oil!

Anonymous said...

I confirm, it was delicious ! :)
Corinne

SteamyKitchen said...

ok, you get my vote for being one of the most creative cooks online. simply beautiful.

Kiriel du Papillon said...

Awww.. you make me blush! I just love playing and experimenting with new recipes and am fortunate enough to have friends willing to be my guinea pigs to try my experiments.