Monday 12 February 2007

Onion Soup anyone?



I am not feeling hugely well so have spent the weekend (and now Monday, at home).
Nothing like being sick to give you a good excuse to make onion soup...
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • around 8 cups onions sliced
  • around 3 Tablespoons flour
  • Beef stock (hmm... how much? I think I used two litres)
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Brandy
Melt the butter in a pot and add the onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring continuously, until soft and golden brown. Once soft, sprinkle with flour and stir to coat, cooking just a minute or two. Gradually add a little stock to make a thick mixture then top up with more stock. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer till ready to eat. Add a good splash of brandy and cook till you want to eat. Traditionally this soup is topped with crusty bread and cheese which is then popped under the grill. In the version in my photos, I used a biscuit cutter to cut out leaves from slices of toasted cheese.

No comments: