Sunday 22 April 2007

Soup of the evening beautiful soup

I am, after an operation, on a complete soft food and puree diet. Frustrating as hell, I am basically trying to see it as an opportunity to perfect some soup receipes, and since it is spring, and asparagus is in season, I had to whip up a batch of cream of asparagus soup.

My own bowl of soup was somewhat smaller (100mls) but I had the pleasure of having my friend Janet join me for lunch, so she got a bigger helping, and asparagus spears to decorate.

A very simple recipe, it consists of asparagus covered with water, boiled with a pinch of sugar until soft (NO salt - it toughens vegetables and makes them harder to puree), then pureed with vegetable stock, and sour cream stirred in afterwards. I actually added a scoop of soya protein to the soup - I have to try to keep my proteins up, but don't recommend this unless you, like me, need it. I would also normally have started with a friend onion but I didn't have any in the house.

Tonight I have another friend coming to dinner - you can have anything you like when you visit me as long as it is soup, so I am going to try to create something a bit more exciting.

No comments: